The Online Reporting System is to be used for non-life threatening and non-emergency incidents of abuse or neglect of a child. If you believe the abuse or neglect you are reporting requires immediate action, you MUST call the Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 800-25-ABUSE (800-252-2873) to make your report.
Immediate DangerIf you believe a child is in immediate danger that could result in death or serious harm, CALL 911 FIRST.
Call the DCFS Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline instead of using the Online Reporting System for situations including but not limited to:
- Current injuries to the child
- Immediate need for medical treatment (including a child who is suicidal)
- Sexual abuse where the involved adult has or will have access to a child within the next 24 hours
- A child is currently afraid to go home
- A child is currently in protective custody of police or medical personnel
- A child death
Youth Behavioral Health ResourcesIllinois is committed to preserving families and eliminating the separation of children from the custody of their parents when their primary need is behavioral and mental health services. Illinois DCFS partners with state agencies and medical professionals to improve our ability to provide youth with the mental and behavioral health services they need to grow and prosper while keeping their families together and preventing unnecessary “lock-outs” of youth in need of post-hospital psychiatric care.
Read the Interagency Resources for Children’s Behavioral Health handout in English, español or Polish (Polskie) to learn more.